Speaking my mind

Wednesday, June 22
So there I was thinking about why those dates are so special. You know, the ones that couples celebrate every month? Okay, I know that date is special but is there a need to make such a big deal out of it every 30 days or so? No offense, but there isn't really anything to celebrate unless it's anniversaries, where the day and month is actually meaningful. Please don't take any offense to this, but I personally think it is stupid. Celebrating that one date every month does not make it any more special. In fact, it does quite the opposite. Imagine celebrating your birthday or Christmas every month. It completely takes the meaning out of the occasion. I think the date should be a precious one that is remembered and celebrated every year ON THAT ONE DATE; the one that is actually special. Yes, I can see that it marks each month a couple is "together", but when exactly is that?

This gets me thinking. Is it the day of confession? Is it the day of your first date? Is it the day you're branded girlfriend and boyfriend? Oh which by the way, I think is just a title anyway. A title that tells others that your love is taken. In stories, there's one question that comes up: "so what does that make us? Are we boyfriend and girlfriend?". Well, I think in a situation like that, it simply makes two people falling for each other; nothing more, nothing less; simple as that. Why must we be named as such? I don't think people should decide on a specific date that they become boyfriend and girlfriend. Why? Because how can you not be a couple on one day, and suddenly are the next? It doesn't work like that. I'd like to think of it as something more like fractions, minus the clear divisions; it's a gradual progress. Well if the two are already friends, they should start out normally, gradually getting to know the other to a greater extent, gradually entagling their lives, gradually opening up and getting comfortable being the real you. The you you are when you're alone, the you you are when you're with your family, the you you are most comfortable being. Then somewhere along the way, you've started believing that you're boyfriend and girlfriend. The process being so gradual that you don't even realise when it began, when exactly it was that you thought of yourself as this person's girlfriend or boyfriend. Okay, not sure if you guys understood what I was trying to say... so let's move on. Yeh, I lost my original point. Lemme think a bit.... Ah yes, month-aversaries. That's right, I don't think people should put such an emphasis on them. Actually, the more I think about it, I think that it, to a small extent, mocks the date. Okay, 'mock' isn't the right word. Ugh, can't think of the word to express what I'm thinking but it something less strong. The modality isn't right here. Does this make sense? Okay, I give up on trying to explain. Overall, I just think that it shouldn't be pinned to one date. It doesn't happen overnight; it happens over a period. It shouldn't be counted from one date, it should be counted from a broader idea, like a week, or month. Example: towards the end of December. See where I'm getting at? Don't ask why I'm rambling about this. It just randomly occurred to me.

So today was the winter solstice; the shortest day of the year. From now on, the days will be getting longer. And before we know it, Summer will be here again. I hate how time is flying by so quickly. This year, was by far the quickest. And I am wasting time when I should be preparing for history and chemistry. So off I go...




#38 I have branded some movies (like Up and Grave of the Fireflies) too sad to ever watch again.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Very interesting. :)

[~~Doolie*] said...

LOL One of your long rambles. :P But true. I see your point. Okay I'm starting to ramble now, so I'll stop here.

Post a Comment